If you are a (web) developer this page is for you.
It contains some useful information about the building of this web app.
There is also a FAQs session you can read before coming here.
The whole web portal is made with Drupal 7.x. There is an HTML5 responsive design built as a subtheme of Mothership.
We use the oEmbed format to "embed" third party media on it. This allows for "fair use" of that media.
This is a paid service with free plan available that provides better oEmbed integration.
4. RDF and RSS¶
We use HybridAuth for easy social sign-in on the portal using accounts from various social apis and identities providers such as Facebook, Twitter and Google.
We use this special json specification to create our RESTful API responses. JsonAPI is designed to minimize both the number of requests and the amount of data transmitted between clients and servers. This efficiency is achieved without compromising readability, flexibility, or discoverability.
Wikiwand is probably the best reader for Wikipedia. We don't use it as a service but we like it a lot and most of our external links are going to Wikiwand instead of the 'ugly' Wikipedia.
Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool for web writers. We use this tool to create the content for the basic website pages as also as for the Github documentation.
10. jQuery countTo]¶
jQuery countTo is a jQuery plugin that will count up (or down) to a target number at a specified speed, rendered within an HTML DOM element.
There is a whole page about SPARQL.
This project was made with accessibility in mind. Currently it is valid under WCAG 2.0 (Level AA) specification except from the external data that are embeded to the web pages using the oEmbed protocol. For these external date there is no option (technically) to fix any accessibility issues if exist.
Sharing here some online tools that helped us create this project.
- HTML Character entity reference Chart
- Bookmarkleter (Create bookmarklet from js)
- Patterncooler.com/ (Free seamless pattern backgrounds)
- ezgif.com (Animated gif editor and gif maker)
- realfavicongenerator.net (A tool to generate favicons, Windows 8 Tiles, Apple Touch icons, Android and iOS icons.)
Icons and other resources¶
We are using some icons or other media from these providers, creators.
- An old postcard from Flickr by Petros Andronakis.
- Slim Square Icons - Basics by icons.design
- Social Media icons by roundicons.com
- licenses.opendefinition.org (json lists of all available open licenses perfect for our open data)
- Accessible - Fat finger form controls (css code)
- Creative commons music by Josh Woodward (music used on the the promo video)
A short documentation for this Drupal web project is available on manystories.readthedocs.org
You can send us issues or things you believe that need improvement here:
You can create pull requests or explore the project. It is hosted on Github and most of its parts are open to everyone.
Information for how to use the API can be found on the related page: Restful API
Information for how to use the SPARQL Endpoint can be found on the related page: SPARQL Endpoint
Examples of Apps using the APIs¶
There are examples and demos available at manystories.github.io/apps/